Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The seven relational core values

I would like to give thanks to my hubby, Reuel for editing this entry.

This is the second part of the preaching last Sunday (which was preached during the evening worship service). Pastor Bong encouraged everyone to read the word of God everyday because reading the bible could spell C-H-A-N-G-E. Let us read what was written in the bible that speaks of change:

Luke 9:23-24 (KJV):“And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.”

Philippians 2:5 (KJV):
“Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:”

Romans 12:1-2 (KJV):“I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.”

The verses above are telling us that to follow Jesus we should change our “self-centered” attitude. It’s either giving up our minds for the Lord or we let our carnal minds to dominate us. Following Jesus Christ would mean renewing our minds.

Let us read the following verses from the book of Ephesians because that’s where Pastor Bong had taken the seven relational core values that he had preached in the last three months. Of course, you can get as much as 30 or more excellent values from the bible by which you can adapt to your daily lives. The relational values we can get from the bible have been metaphorically compared to oil in the ministry of God. In the example given by our pastor, the ministry of God is the motor and in order to have smooth mechanical work, we need a constant supply of oil. Just like in the ministry of God, misunderstanding and disagreement could always occur but with the biblical relational values that each Christian has, they could serve God altogether without having any problems at all.

Ephesians 5:21-33 (KJV):“Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God. Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing. Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish. So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself. For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church: For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones. For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church. Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.”

Here’s the summary of the seven (7) relational core values:

1. The value of holiness
The value of holiness can be attained through hearing and hearing of the words of God. As what was mentioned earlier, constant reading of the bible could make us a new person because the word of God can purify our soul. Let us again read what God says:

Ephesians 5:26-27 (KJV):“That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.”

Most people define holiness based on how people would look in outward appearance. But actually, the value of holiness is always based on how people behave toward God and toward others.

The value of holiness means:
- I am fully devoted to God, I seek Him everyday
- I depart from all appearances of evil
- My motive is always pure; it’s for the glory of God
- I pray with my family and with people around me
- When we come as a church it means Christ is the center

If we are going to apply the value of holiness in our family, I believe this value would bring 100% honesty in the family. Imagine if the husband, the wife and the children would be God-fearing, always depart from all appearances of evil or evil temptations, and always having pure motives in all of their dealings.

2. The value of sacrificial love

The sacrificial love can be compared to the loving relationship of husbands and wives as Christ to His church. Please read the verse below:

Ephesians 5:25 (KJV):
“Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;”

Sacrificial love is something that we express whenever we do things not for ourselves but for others.

The value of sacrificial love means:
- I prefer the advantage of other people
- I give
- I help people
- I give way
- I forgive
- When we come as a church, it must be a community of honesty, openness, forbearance in the bondage of love

If this value can be seen in the family, all members of the family know how to give way and to forgive.

3. The value of encouragement
The value of encouragement is being compared to the love of one’s self as no man would want to get hurt. Kindly read the following verse:

Ephesians 5:29 (KJV):“For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:”

The value of encouragement means:
- I encourage people with my words
- I encourage people with my touch
- I encourage people through my ears
- I encourage people through my presence
- I encourage people by praying with them
- When we come together as a church we do things to build the body or the group

The value of encouragement is also important in the family and even in the church as it produces a very positive environment whereby no one would get discouraged.

4. The value of submission
The value of submission is being compared to the submission of wives to their husbands. If you would submit yourselves to the Lord, it would open the doors of His blessings. There are three institutions in our life that requires submission and those are:

a. family
b. government
c. church

Ephesians 5:21-22 (KJV):Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God. Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.”

Submission means:
- I submit to the word of God
- I obey wholeheartedly and gladly those who are in authority
- I do not speak evil against people with delegated authorities but respect and pray for them
- I respect the young ones
- I do not complain
- I am meek

The value of submission always builds respect towards others most likely to those who are in the authority. In the bible, wives are commanded to submit to their husbands because fathers are the one installed by God to be the leader of the family and has given the authority over it.

5. The value of graciousness
The value of graciousness can be achieved through “give and take” relationship that husbands and wives has. Let us read what was written in the bible:

Ephesians 5:28 (KJV):“So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.”

The value of graciousness means:
- I bring people to the saving knowledge of Christ
- I esteem and respect people equally
- I am a lover of lost souls
- I show kindness to people who are outside of Christ
- I give to people even if they are not member of God’s household
- I restore erring brethren in the spirit of meekness, using God’s word

6. The value of teamwork

The value of teamwork signifies that we need each other to reach the maximum results of the team. We as a church are united in these three things:

a. Mission
b. Vision
c. Values

Ephesians 5:31 (KJV):“For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.”

The value of teamwork means:
- I do not work alone
- I do not isolate myself
- I love to work with a team
- I go out and ask for help and assistance for maximum result
- I am dependable

7. The value of coming together
The value of coming together is being achieved by going to the church regularly and fellowshipping with each member as part of one body. It would also be great if this value can also be seen in the family.

Ephesians 5:29 (KJV):“For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:”

The value of coming together means:
- I come on time
- I do not miss appointments
- I enjoy meeting and fellowshipping with the brethren
- I come to contribute for growth

Now what we all need to do is to say and believe this…

I TRUST THAT THE GOD OF ALL MIRACLES WILL MOLD ME INTO A PERSON OF HEAVENLY VALUES

No comments:

Search the web...