Friday, November 07, 2008

MISSIONS: Our Church's Good Work

The preaching last Sunday evening was all about church missions. It is entitled – MISSIONS: OUR CHURCH’S GOOD WORK. Pastor Bong cited that the mission works is the church’s lifeline hence; he is encouraging everyone to have a mind for our missions. Let us first read the epistle of Paul to the Philippians:

Philippians 4:1-20 (KJV):“Therefore, my brethren dearly beloved and longed for, my joy and crown, so stand fast in the Lord, my dearly beloved. I beseech Euodias, and beseech Syntyche, that they be of the same mind in the Lord. And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other my fellowlabourers, whose names are in the book of life. Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice. Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand. Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you. But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at the last your care of me hath flourished again; wherein ye were also careful, but ye lacked opportunity. Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Notwithstanding ye have well done, that ye did communicate with my affliction. Now ye Philippians know also, that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church communicated with me as concerning giving and receiving, but ye only. For even in Thessalonica ye sent once and again unto my necessity. Not because I desire a gift: but I desire fruit that may abound to your account. But I have all, and abound: I am full, having received of Epaphroditus the things which were sent from you, an odour of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, wellpleasing to God. But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus. Now unto God and our Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen.”
We can perceive in the words of the Apostle Paul that he is very grateful with the Philippian church as they were helping him in carrying out the great commission. And that he is requesting Euodias and Syntyche to be the same as well as the Philippian church was. He also said that only the Philippian church’s had been generous in giving all his needs to perform his mission works. And with that, he prayed for them that God may supply all their needs according to God’s riches. It is not just a blessings but it’s the supply of needs according to the Lord’s riches. Just imagine the universe to visualize how great is the riches of the Lord. We can also see in the book of Philippians on the first chapter that the Apostle Paul includes the Philippian church in his everyday prayer. Kindly read the verse below:

Philippians 1:4-6 (KJV):
“Always in every prayer of mine for you all making request with joy, For your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now; Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:”

In that verse, we can conclude that the Philippian church had grown and had been blessed by God because they were very liberated in helping out in the works of mission. As what Pastor Bong quoted, a church that has concerns in giving and receiving becomes more matured and more blessed because the Lord will bless them liberally as what the Lord had promised in the verse below:

Philippians 4:19 (KJV):“But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.”
Please be guided that for us to experience the supply of our needs according to the Lord’s riches, the preceding verses should be done first which is to be concern in the works of mission. This is what God’s principle means when He says:

Matthew 16:25 (KJV):“For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.”
If a church is not burdened (or is not concerned) with missions, then that church is inferior, similar to as what Apostle Paul has tagged the Corinthian church for being not supportive in the work of missions. Let us look at the following verse:

2 Corinthians 12:13 (KJV):
“For what is it wherein ye were inferior to other churches, except it be that I myself was not burdensome to you? forgive me this wrong.”


Afterwards, Pastor Bong said that if he doesn’t teach us “giving”, then he’s doing injustice to us because the road to success is through “giving”. If we would want to grow and to be supplied of our needs, we need to give to do the work of mission which is the good work that Christ Jesus had started. He also said that God’s blessing is subjective with the performance of every Christians. He referenced the subjectivity of God’s blessing when the time Jesus Christ did not make any miracles in his home town because the people there are very hostile and did not believe in Him.

Matthew 13:54-58 (KJV):“And when he was come into his own country, he taught them in their synagogue, insomuch that they were astonished, and said, Whence hath this man this wisdom, and these mighty works? Is not this the carpenter's son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas? And his sisters, are they not all with us? Whence then hath this man all these things? And they were offended in him. But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, save in his own country, and in his own house. And he did not many mighty works there because of their unbelief.”
Pastor Bong challenged us that we should have our minds on the work of missions because our life in this world is all about Christ’s work. The true believer of Jesus Christ according to him carries the same mission. Let us read the following verse to prove it:

John 14:12-14 (KJV):“Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.”
Again, please be guided that the promise, “And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it” is inseparable to the preceding verse. For us to experience this, we should first do what He commanded to us, which is “the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do”. This is the main purpose of our life in this world, doing the work of Christ.

Now let us define what the Work of Missions is…

A. Mission Work is about church evangelism and discipleship.

- There is no institution that teaches us the mission work of evangelizing and discipling but the church of Jesus Christ. There is no mission work if there is no evangelizing and discipling because through that, we can spread the gospel of the Lord.
- Our church is the most potent and effective institution for the healing of our broken souls.
- The church is the training ground of missions
- The church was given the power and authority to evangelize and to disciple by our Lord Jesus Christ in the book of Matthew:

Matthew 28:18-20 (KJV):
“And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.”

- When a church knows how to evangelize, we can start mission work. Evangelism starts the church but discipleship sustains the church. Let us read what was written in the book of Acts:

Acts 20:27-31 (KJV):“For I have not shunned to declare unto you all the counsel of God. Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood. For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock. Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them. Therefore watch, and remember, that by the space of three years I ceased not to warn every one night and day with tears.”

B. The work of mission is about sending out missionaries.

- The church cannot start sending out missionaries if the church doesn’t know how to evangelize and to disciple.
- Unless the church trains, it cannot sends out missionaries. In the following verses, we cannot deny that God wants the church perpetuity. God even sends persecution when we do not want to go outside of our comfort zone to start mission works.

Acts 8:1 (KJV):
“And Saul was consenting unto his death. And at that time there was a great persecution against the church which was at Jerusalem; and they were all scattered abroad throughout the regions of Judaea and Samaria, except the apostles.”

Acts 8:4 (KJV):
“Therefore they that were scattered abroad went every where preaching the word.”


- It is a gain for a church when they send someone out to do mission works because it means that we do the will of God. In the following verse, we can see that the word of God should be delivered through the preacher.

Romans 10:13-15 (KJV):
“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!”


- In this verse, the church gathers and we can see that they send out people to do the mission works based on the desire of the church and not based on individual desire. Therefore, a person cannot be a missionary unless the church has sent him.

Acts 13:1-3 (KJV):“Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and teachers; as Barnabas, and Simeon that was called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen, which had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul. As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them. And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.”
Ephesians 4:11 (KJV):
“And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;”


C. The work of mission is about helping the missionaries.
- The work of mission is about being a partaker of someone’s burden and that someone is the missionaries sharing the word of God to the lost world. And through this we can measure our performance as a church.

Philippians 1:5 (KJV):
“For your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now;”

Philippians 4:14 (KJV):
“Notwithstanding ye have well done, that ye did communicate with my affliction.”



Before I end this, may I share with you one of my favorite songs, “The Missions”:



I know most of you don’t fully understand the work of missions but I hope this writings can help you realize that our life is all about doing Christ work, the WORK of MISSIONS.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know the works of missions, and I do appreciate them, grabee...

Michelle said...

Hi Sheng,

I'm glad you can relate with this topic...I'm a bit reluctant to post this because I'm afraid the reader won't understand and won't appreciate this kind of writings.

And I have to thank you because you inspire me to continue posting the Sunday preaching...

Thank you and God bless you!

Search the web...